Saturday, February 18, 2012

little women

I recently finished reading Little Women. It was my first time. I know it is one of those books one is supposed to read while growing up. A great piece of literature history. It never appealed to me until I could read it gratis via IBooks on my iphone. I am very glad that I waited so long to read . I would have not understood very much of it if we hadn't, as a family, read Pilgrim's Progress last summer. I don't think I would have even liked it if I hadn't. So I heartily recommend reading Pilgrim's Progress and then Little Women.

These are my favorite quotes from Little Women.

"...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride."
Beth conquering Mr. Lawrence's gruffness.

"Pride goes before a fall..."
Amy's embarrassing lime situation which results in her being taken out of her school to be taught at home.

"People who hire all these things done for them never know what they lose, for the homeliest tasks get beautified if loving hands do them"
Meg, overwhelmed by the love shone her on the event of her marriage to Mr. Brooke through the handmade items given her with which to set up house.
Loving hands make a dull task dear.

"You are a thing of beauty and a joy forever," said Jo.
Describing Amy before the two go calling on the neighbors.

" Simple, sincere people seldom speak much of their piety. It shows itself in acts rather than in words, and has more influence than homilies or protestations. Beth could not reason upon or explain the faith that gave her courage and patience to give up life, and cheerfully wait for death. Like a confiding child, she asked no questions, but left everything to God and nature, Father and Mother of us all, feeling sure that they, and they only, could teach and strengthen heart and spirit for this life and the life to come. She did not rebuke Jo with saintly speeches, only loved her better for her passionate affection, and clung more closely to the dear human love, from which our Father never means us to be weaned, but through which He draws us closer to Himself." Their precious Beth.

" she recognized the beauty of her sister's life—uneventful, unambitious, yet full of the genuine virtues which 'smell sweet, and blossom in the dust', the self-forgetfulness that makes the humblest on earth remembered soonest in heaven, the true success which is possible.."
Jo realizing Beth's true beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I love that you're writing about your reading! Makes me want to read it, too, but to do Pilgrim's Progress first (definately an abridged version, though).

    What do you think of the movies now that you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen the movie with Winona Ryder. While I read the book, all the characters carried the faces from that movie. I think I still like the movie. I really want to see the Katherine Hepburn version to compare it.

      Delete