Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Brazil post 5

We've only got eight days left.
So far this week I've been helping in the 1st and 2nd grade class and painting the middle boys' dorm.  Keith is working on a remodeling project in one of the guest houses. 

Before we came here I asked about the dress code for the school, and when I got the answer I thought part of it was interesting.  Everyone seems to change clothes after lunch.  For example the women teachers wear dresses or skirts to school in the morning, but change after lunch.  I didn't really understand why before I got here.  But I understand a bit more now.  Before I thought, "Wow, that sure makes a lot more laundry to do" and usually I'm all about less laundry.  Well, here you just get so hot and sweaty so quickly that a you need or want to change clothes.  Sometimes all you need is a cold shower after lunch and a quick change into some fresh clothes.  So this morning I wore my school clothes to help in the classroom.  Then I changed into some painting clothes.  Then after lunch I got my refreshingly cold shower and changed into more painting clothes and finally one more shower and change before dinner.  It's a matter of managing the heat.

As for laundry, I just load up all the dirties, or whatever will fit into the machine and let it soak overnight (to try to get rid of the sweat stink).  Then I run it in the morning as soon as the electricity comes back on.  By the time we're done with breakfast I have just enough time to get it out on the clothesline before school starts.  It's a great system. 


Megan and I walked around campus a little bit this evening scouting great places for a little photo shoot.  She wasn't the most cooperative (Imagine that).  But we did have fun and found an interesting plant we hadn't seen before.



No comments:

Post a Comment