Thursday, February 7, 2013

doily bunting

My grandma, Daisy, really loved to crochet.  She never crocheted hats or scarves or anything like that.  She crocheted doilies.  I am very thankful to have received many doilies from her before she passed away and some afterwards.  Some of them are favorites of mine because of their shape or the texture of the crochet thread.  Those are untouchable, never to be used on a project, but occasionally displayed.  However, I have so many other doilies from her, that I didn't feel bad using them for a fun project.

Recently I stumbled upon the idea of a bunting made from doilies.  I realized how simple it would be to make and decided to do it right away.  All I needed was several of Grandma's doilies and double fold bias tape.  I cut the doilies in half and arranged them in a pattern.  I pinned them in the bias tape and made sure to capture all the cut edges in my seam.  I really love how it turned out.  It's perfect.  And It's a super fun photo prop.  I'm also thinking it would be cute strung across my bedroom wall just over the bed. 




 
Don't you love my Grandma's name?  Aren't botanical names the best?

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! It is just adorable. I don't think I can cut my special doilies, but I think maybe I'll make some of my own and try it! Thanks for sharing your neat ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we used some precious ones from my aunt for bunting but i used mini clothes pins and pinned the whole doilies onto a ribbon. i really love the way yours turned out scalloped at the bottom-but I couldn't bear to cut these beauties of mine!

    rachel hood

    ReplyDelete