Wednesday, January 9, 2013

our microwave

Notice the clock is off.


Our microwave broke last week.  I've learned a few things since then.

1.  I don't use the microwave every day.  I never thought about it much.  I use the clock and timer on it more than the machine itself.  I didn't even know it was broken.  My dear husband brought it to my attention.

2.  If your microwave is broken and about 10 years old, don't call a repairman.  It will probably cost you around $50 to find out that, yes, they could repair it, but it'll cost about as much as a new one.  So you should go ahead a just get a new one.

3.  There is a part to a microwave that sounds like the name of a toy Transformer, like....magnatron or something.

4. While Frankie The Repairman was here he told me some useful information.  (Don't you love it when something breaks and the repairman lets you know you have been using the appliance wrong all these years and that's probably why it broke.)  He told me when cooking on the stove top I should always run the vent on my over-the-range microwave.  Frankie says the microwave is basically a computer and all that  moisture from cooking under it can mess it up.  So run the vent when you cook under it.

5.  Frankie also told me this. Latch key kids are the ones using microwaves so much, so I should get my microwave replaced so my kids won't miss it too much.

6.  I can reheat just about any thing in the oven.  Even Rotel dip.

7.  And, finally, when the microwave is broken it is so much better to use the drip coffee maker than to do the pour over coffee that I usually make.  Then the coffeemaker can keep my coffee warm for me and  I don't have to reheat my coffee in a saucepan. Literally took me days to figure out this one! Duh!

I think I've learned about all there is to know anout broken microwaves.  And I'm sure Frankie would disagree with me.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me want to dump our microwave and replace it with a range hood. I totally need the vent, but you've made me realize how little we need the microwave itself and could do without.

    Also, Frankie's advice--probably right, but am I going to use the electricity to do that? Um, no.

    ReplyDelete