Friday, March 8, 2013

our microwave...the continuing story (and conclusion!!!!)

     About two months ago I wrote a blog post about our microwave.  Our microwave died and I didn't even realize it.  Our January was so hectic that we didn't have time to think about replacing it.  February turned out pretty busy too and I'll admit that we are sometimes procrastinators.
     Finally, we began shopping for one last Saturday. We took our three-ringed circus lovely children shopping with us.  Our first stop was the Sears appliance store.  Did you know they give out free freshly popped popcorn, have a giant TV for the kids to watch and a little table and chairs just the right size for them.  The kids loved it there, but they didn't have what we were looking for pricewise.  Our next stop was Lowe's.  Let me interject here that one store is the max I like to handle when our three-ringed circus lovely children are in tow.  They really aren't misbehavin' children for the most part, but they're kind of loud and like to ask a bazillion questions all at once.  I have a very hard time making any kind of good decision with all that going on.  There you go.  If you ever need to foil my decision-making abilities (not that they are all that fabulous to begin with), now you know that you just need to be loud and ask me lots of questions...make sure you begin most of your questions with "What if.."  Anyway, back to Lowe's.  At one point we had found the right microwave.  It was a great price and the right color, we just needed to find out how much the trim kit was.
 (Read this for an explanation of trim kit:  The space for our microwave is 36" wide.  Most microwaves are smaller and you can buy a trim kit for them so they will take up all of those 36".  Because you DON'T want to buy a 36" microwave.  Their prices start around $830 and go up from there.  Yikes!)

And the trim kit for that microwave was half the price of the microwave itself.  At this point we were all getting a bit frustrated and Keith wanted to go home and order the part that was broken and replace it himself.  I wasn't too sure about that, but I was ready to go home.  So we left. 
Several hours wasted and no progress made = Frustration

About five minutes after we got home Keith found a 36" microwave in the right color on sale on Amazon.com.  It was a great brand with great reviews and cost around half of the others we had looked at.  We ordered right away.  It came yesterday.  And this morning Keith finished installing it.  He's pretty awesome like that.
Just one day shy of two months of living without a microwave, now I have one again. 

The best part of living without a microwave: 
I can do it. 
I can do it for a long time. 
I can do it and only miss it a little bit.


The worst part of living without a microwave: 
Needing to melt a tablespoon of butter and having to do it in a saucepan and then having to wash the saucepan (FOR ONE TABLESPOON OF BUTTER).  Butter wasn't so necessary in my life these last two months.  Sorry, Paula Deen.
And having to reheat coffee in a saucepan.
I did really miss the timer on the microwave, but I started using the timer on my phone.  I'm thankful for that. 
 My awesome husband getting ready to undertake the project.  Seth is excited.
 


 Out with the old!
 



 


 You've got to really concentrate on this part.
 



 


 In with the new!
 

 
 


2 comments:

  1. Great job! Moral of the story...check online first before going to the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great "family" project:) I think we'll head to Lowe's today for Build & Grow.

    ReplyDelete